While Yamaha’s BD-A1040 offers sterling playback performance, the Oppo BDP-103’s position as Prince remains safe. The A1040’s slimmer suite of connections and bare-bones interface keep our vote in Oppo’s camp as the best of the best for mid-tier Blu-ray players. That said, Yamaha’s player comes in at $100 less than Oppo’s BDP-103, and is an easy choice for fans of the Aventage line.
- Superb music and audio playback
- Quality HD upscaling
- Ample selection of features
- Sleek design
- Fewer connections than competing players
- Threadbare interface and app selection
- No DSD audio file support